Tuesday Mornings from 10am - 1pm
July 5, 2022 - August 23, 2022
Orientation class for sewing machine owners.
Sewing expert Ludmila Popova will guide you through all the basics - from the sewing machine and essential tools, to choosing the right materials for your project. You will also learn about patterns, layouts, cutting techniques, pinning, marking methods and much more. You will make pyjama bottoms and learn skills that you can apply to any project. By the end this course, you will have a basic understanding of sewing, and plenty of hands-on experience too.
Skills you'll learn:
- Operate a sewing machine
- Sewing machine techniques (plain seam, basting, stay stitch, zigzag hem, ease, buttonhole, french seam, flat-feld seam, corner seam and more!)
- Hand sewing (basting, backstitch, cross stitch, running stitch, buttonhole stitch, slipstitch)
- How to read and adjust a commercial pattern
- Cutting, pinning, marking techniques
- Pressing and ironing techniques
- Fabric construction, type of thread, needles, interfacing
Projects: Pyjama Pants construction, T-Shirt restyling as a bonus
Prerequisites: no sewing experience is required but a serious desire to learn a LOT in a short period of time.
Note: We provide sewing machines, sergers, thread and swatches for in-class exercises. Some notions, handouts are also provided, as well as snacks and beverages. Students will need a basic sewing kit in class and a sewing machine at home to practice.
Supply fee: $40
Address: 3033 Carling Ave. Unit 204
Please review our policies before registering.
Sewing Basics on Tuesday Mornings
- Please register early for classes, as we require time to prepare kits and class handouts.
- You do not need to bring your own sewing machine to class, but you do need to bring your own sewing kit.
- There is a $30 supply fee which needs to be paid upon the first class. This fee includes sewing/pressing equipment, needles, thread, fabric samples, etc.
- Please read the prerequisites in the class descriptions to ensure that you meet the level required for the class material. If you feel you may not meet the prerequisites, don't hesitate to contact us for clarification and help selecting a class.
- Unless stated otherwise, classes and workshops that are listed here are for adult participants. Visitors, including infants and children are not permitted in classes or workshops.
- You may register for classes online, or over the phone (613-617-4042)
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
- Written notice of cancellation may be processed for a course refund (minus a 10% admin fee) by advising Green Needle a minimum of two weeks prior to the course starting date.
- Cancellations received 1 week prior to the course commencing are eligible for 50% refund unless there is a wait list for the course. This includes the admin fee.
- Cancellations within the final week prior to the course are non-refundable unless there is a waiting list for the course and the course can be run with full attendance.
- In the rare event that our minimum class enrolment is not met, we reserve the right to cancel the class. Classes with insufficient registration will be cancelled with 72 hours notice given to those who are registered in the class. In cases where we cancel a class, students will be offered a full refund of the registration fees.
- If a course must be cancelled due to COVID19 related restrictions and guidelines set by the government, students will automatically receive a course fee credit which can be used at Green Needle for up to two years. The course can also be sold or gifted to someone by advising Green Needle in writing including the names of the designated student that will replace the original student.